Hello

Welcome to Yet Another Cooking Blog.

As you may have guessed, this is a blog about cooking - in particular my cooking. It has been mentioned to me several times that I seem a little obsessed with food, so I have decided to blog about my menus, my successes, my failures and anything else that springs to mind

Saturday 15 January 2011

Bermondsey curry

When I was a child as a treat we used to be given chinese takeaway for my supper.  I always used to have fried rice or chow mein with chinese curry sauce.  On even rarer occasions we would have an Indian takeaway where I would have a chicken madras.

When I was eventually cooking for myself, I decided I would try to make my own curry.  I didn't have any cook books, so I guessed what was in it.  What came out was not a recognisable flavour from any region (not Chinese, Indian, Thai, Malay, Indonesian or anywhere else I can think of) so it became Bermondsey curry.

The sauce I will give the recipe for (and its a real kitchen cupboard recipe) can either be used to cook meat in, or can be cooked in a saucepan in about 2 minutes and poured over the top, which is what I used to do, poured over a roasted chicken leg and rice.

Bermondsey curry sauce


Makes approx 1 pint

3 tbsp curry powder (I use Schwartz madras spices)
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
3 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp chilli powder
2-3 tbsp gravy granules (dependent on how thick you like it)
1 pint water

Put all in a saucepan, and stir continuously until thickened.

If you want to use this recipe to cook your meat/veg in, use a stock cube instead of gravy and thicken at the end of cooking, either with some gravy granules or with a tsp cornflour mixed with a little water.

I hope you enjoy Bermondsey curry.

No comments:

Post a Comment