Hello

Welcome to Yet Another Cooking Blog.

As you may have guessed, this is a blog about cooking - in particular my cooking. It has been mentioned to me several times that I seem a little obsessed with food, so I have decided to blog about my menus, my successes, my failures and anything else that springs to mind

Friday 4 February 2011

Eyeballs, slugs and cockroaches

OK.  I admit it.  I'm a very fussy eater.  I am a nightmare in a restaurant, because of the reasons you are to shortly read.  I find it hard to try new foods (but I generally will try them).

The three foods that I hate the most title this post - eyeballs, slugs and cockroaches.  Now before you ask, I don't make it a habit of having a chew on a slug in the garden on a sunny evening, and cockroaches are too crunchy!

Anyway, the reason this post is called eyeballs, slugs and cockroaches is because that is how I describe the three foods I really really dislike.

Eyeballs


Eyeballs are what the average person would call a tomato.  Out of my three dislikes - this is by far the worst.  This is the only one where I can really say I dislike the flavour enough to make me retch.  The worst culprit has to be the cherry tomato.  Little eyeballs that pop in your mouth when you bite them, squirting slimey juice and pips.  The only tomato I can really manage, is when it has been cooked for a very long time until it is basically a tomato sauce (like a pasta sauce), but if you watch me, you will see me picking out the lumps if it hasn't completely fallen apart.

Slugs


Slugs are a strange one (mushrooms to the uninitiated).  I like the flavour of mushrooms, but I really dislike the texture, unless they have been fried to a crisp.  I have been reliably informed that up to the age of about 5, one of my favorite foods was mushrooms on toast, so I don't know what caused the change.  I do however know what locked in the dislike - when I was 18 I was in a beefeater type restarant where I had ordered a steak.  It was served with tinned button mushrooms.  Guess who made the mistake of trying one to see if the dislike of mushrooms had changed?  From that attempt - the answer was no.  That was 20 years ago, and I can still remember it very clearly.

Cockroaches


Now cockroaches is a strange one - as I don't dislike the food per se - but I dislike what always occurs when I eat them.  Cockroaches are kidney beans (now you know!). As a child my dad always made chilli with a tin of baked beans rather than kidney beans, which I put down to a dislike of his (and I admit I like it made that way now).  When I started eating chilli anywhere except at home, of course kidney beans were the bean of choice.  Now - I don't know if I am just a very unlucky lady, or there is a kidney bean conspiracy, but every time I had chilli I would get about half way through and then get a rock hard kidney bean.  This is rather off putting, when you don't know if you are going to crack a tooth through the rest of your meal.  I put kidney beans and baked beans in my chilli these days as my husband likes them, and at the end of the meal there is a little pile of cockroaches on my plate.

At the beginning of this post I said that I am a nightmare in a restaurant.  Apart from disliking tomato and mushroom, I have another dislike that combined with the above make certain styles of food rather difficult to buy.

I dislike savoury creamy sauces/soups.  I am not averse to a blob of cream with my lemon tart, but I simply don't like cream to taste savoury.  Putting 2+2 together (and possibly making 96) if you don't like mushrooms, don't like tomatoes and don't like creamy sauces, it really crosses off alot on an average european menu!

No comments:

Post a Comment