Hello

Welcome to Yet Another Cooking Blog.

As you may have guessed, this is a blog about cooking - in particular my cooking. It has been mentioned to me several times that I seem a little obsessed with food, so I have decided to blog about my menus, my successes, my failures and anything else that springs to mind

Tuesday 12 April 2011

Leftover mashed potato

I am a fan of mash potato.  A big fan.  Occasionally, we even have a bit leftover at the end of a mash meal.  There are many ways to make use of the leftover potato, of which here is a list of the ones I can think of right now :


  • Bubble and squeek (leftover mash potato and vegetables fried together)
  • Shepherds/cottage pie (use that left over mash to make the topping for your next meal)
  • Fishcakes (any flaky fish mixed with the mash, coated with beaten egg and breadcrumbs)
  • Piped into the shape of choice and then grilled or roasted until crispy
  • Croquettes (rolled into a sausage shape, coated in beaten egg and breadcrumbs)
Today I'm going to focus on croquettes.  In the UK potato croquettes are reasonably well known.  In Spain and Belgium they often have additions in the filling such as cheese, prawns or chicken.  In the Netherlands croquettes tend to be filled with a meat ragu.

The ones I have made today are rather plain, as they have been made for my 7 month old daughter - tuna croquettes.

Tuna croquettes

Ingredients

As much leftover mash as you have (if for a baby without any salt in)
A tin of tuna in springwater (again avoid brine if for a baby) - you are aiming for approx 1/4 to 1/3 of the total volume to be tuna
Black pepper
Finely chopped spring onion
Finely chopped red chilli (optional)
1 egg beaten
Breadcrumbs ( I process any stale home made bread I have left and keep in a jar)
Sunflower or other tasteless oil for frying

1.  Preheat the oven to 180 deg C
2.  In a large bowl combine your mash, tuna, pepper, spring onions and chilli if using.  Add salt to taste if for adults.
3.  in a small bowl beat the egg, and put a layer of breadcrumbs on a plate.
4.  Take a small amount of the mix and form into a sausage shape.  Not too long, and it is worth working it in your hands first so that it binds well together.
5.  Coat the croquette in the egg and then cover in breadcrumbs.
6.  Lay onto a baking tray and repeat with the rest of the mix.
7.  In a shallow frying pan put the oil and put onto a medium hot heat
8.  Lightly fry the croquettes in batches just to seal them and to get a golden colour to the breadcrumbs.  The aim is not to cook them through at this stage.
9.  Ones they have all been sealed and browned, put back onto the baking tray and put into the oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked through.

Serve with sweet chilli dipping sauce or tomato sauce and a salad


Croquettes waiting to be fried

Hope you enjoy these as much as my daughter does

No comments:

Post a Comment